Fuji Bjj Gi Company History
Approximate 50 years ago, a man named Frank Hatashita started a company to provide Judo uniforms throughout Canada. He has about one hundred judo clubs across Canada and wanted to outfit them all in the best possible uniforms. Not one for being a salesman, Mr. Hatashita, a black belt in judo, helped spread the sport of Judo until it became an Olympic sport in 1964. This is where the Fuji BJJ Gi brand finds its roots and continues today through his daughter, Lia.
In the 1990s, Fuji decided to expand their market beyond Canada and spread into the Judo and Karate markets of the United States. As BJJ became more popular, people wanted to find a gi that was reasonably priced and of high quality. Around 2006, Fuji started becoming known in the BJJ world as a company that was able to deliver high quality gis at a reasonable price. You would start to see lots of people wearing a Fuji BJJ Gi at local tournaments.
The Future of the Fuji BJJ Gi
Fuji Bjj Gi Reviews
The following are the Fuji Gis that we've reviewed individually on this site so far:
Fuji ADCC All Around Gi
- The Fuji All Around BJJ Gi Black (Single Weave) is a great all around gi for both training and competition use
- The fabric is medium weight, not too light and not too heavy, which makes it great for dual use – even in hot weather.
- Strong pants, excellent reinforcements
- True BJJ cut with shorter jacket and well tapered arms.
- Intended to last for years and built with quality
- Made from 100% cotton
- Includes both jacket and pants (belt not included)
- Features Cherry blossom design
- Slightly shorter arms
- Tapered sleeves and pants
- Smaller waistline
- 100% cotton
- Meets the new IBJJF regulations for competition
- Ultra lightweight – Perfect for making weight and hot weather training
- Lightweight pearl weave jacket
- Triple reinforced rip stop pants
- Stiff collar with extra rows of stitching
- Bungee cord drawstring
- Contrast stitching
- IBJJF approved
ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED DECEMBER 26, 2011