It’s true that gi pants are typically the first thing to rip or tear. And its a total gi-nerd-bummer when you rip the matching pants to your favorite gi. Right now, JustGiPants.com only offers their gi pants in white and blue, but once they start to offer multiple colors and contrast stitching, you’ll be set for life. [Update, 5th Jan 2017: They now offer the classic drillstop pants in addition to the ripstops, and have added tights to their collection.]
I think this is all the introduction we need:
The gi pants are probably some of the best that I own. I tried to shrink them down a little bit but the ripstop pants wouldn’t shrink to any significant degree. They definitely aren’t the most fitted pants that I own, but their measurements put them at a nice average of all of my A3 pants. This is great considering they’re replacement pants. Excellent ‘middle of the road’ cut.
A – 9.5”
B – 11.5”
C – 23”
D – 39”
Justgipants is very simple in aesthetic design. They’re an all-white pant with a small logo embroidery on the upper thigh and a really nice white rope drawcord.
Knee reinforcements that go all the way down? Yessir!
What I love about the design is that they have reinforcements in all of the right places. Including a tremendous number of them in the crotch and booty area. This is great because this is the second most common place pants rip after the knees.
In a side-by-side comparison to one of my favorite pants of all time, my Atama Mundial 7 pants, I would take the the JustGiPants.
When I first got the 100% ripstop ‘modern’ pants, they were very tough and stiff, which I really like. I tried drying them to shrink them a bit and they softened up. I would wager that the more that I wash them and air dry them, the stiffer they will become. This is a great option because if you prefer stiff pants, you can air dry, and if you prefer soft pants, then you can use the dryer without them shrinking significantly.
And, of course, they held up perfectly when rolling. I had no issues with the material ripping or tearing and no issues with the pants falling down or the pant legs riding up. The pants aren't super-lightweight, but not heavy like my old Atama Mundial 5 pants or paper-thin and prone to tearing. There's only so light you can go before they rip easily.
Also, the drawstring held together really well and is one of the best drawstrings that I own.
Clearly, he approves.
“They’re *just* gi pants? I don’t get it. What else do they sell?” – Wife
“Just gi pants” – Me (grinning like an idiot)
“You think you’re sooo funny” – Wife
Justgipants.com offers a lot of great stuff. I’ll hit them quick since you’re attention span is probably already short from watching too many ‘80s cartoons (Am-I-Rite?):
- Great price point – These gi pants are only 40 bucks. You just can’t beat that for such a great pair of pants.
- Free shipping – this means the gi pants cost 40 bucks, not ‘we advertise 40 but it’s really 50 due to a ridiculously high shipping charge.’
- Six month guarantee – I have yet to see anybody guarantee gi pants like this. Especially not with all of these other features as well.
- Customer Service – Emails are replied to promptly and typically with a bit of humor (what else do you expect?). Also, I’ve had some awful experiences in the past with companies asking me to pay to mail the ripped pants to them, plus pay another $20 for a replacement pair for their faulty gi pants. None of that here. If your gi pants were to malfunction, which I’m 99% sure they won’t, JustGiPants will shoot you a new pair faster than the Millennium Falcon can do a Kessel Run (I’m reaching here, I know).
- Not douchey – These pants are solid and simple and you can have a cool pair of pants that nobody else has without being a douchebag. Next time your gi pants tear, get a new pair at JustGiPants.com. Don’t be a douchebag.
ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED ON JUNE 29, 2012